Chief Master Sgt Michael R. Douglas is the Command Chief Master Sergeant, 126th Air Refueling Wing, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois. As Command Chief, he serves as advisor to the wing commander and senior leadership concerning matters of morale, welfare, and development of the units enlisted force. He also serves as the functional manager of the wing’s first sergeants.
Chief Master Sgt Douglas began his military career in October of 1981 on active duty in the United States Navy. He left active duty in October of 1984 and then spent time in both the Navy and Army Reserves. In 2000, Chief Master Sgt Douglas joined the Illinois Air National Guard where he was assigned to the 126th Security Forces Squadron, holding various positions within the organization such as fireteam leader, squad leader, and flight sergeant. In 2008, Chief Master Sgt Douglas became the First Sergeant for the 126th Security Forces Squadron and served in that position until he returned to the Security Forces career field in 2013. He has participated in Operations NOBLE EABLE, NORTHERN WATCH, SOUTHERN WATCH, IRAQI FREEDOM, AND ENDURING FREEDOM.
Chief Douglas served as a police officer for the City of Waterloo Illinois Police Department for 29 years retiring as the Chief of Police in September of 2019. During his career with the Waterloo Police Department the Chief served as patrol officer, investigator, patrol sergeant, deputy chief, and chief. Prior to his current position, Chief Douglas was the Security Forces Manager, 126th Security Forces Squadron, Scott Air Forces Base, Illinois.
1987 Associate of Applied Science Degree, Administration of Justice, Belleville Area College, Belleville, Ill.
1989 Bachelor of Science Degree, Administration of Justice, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Carbondale, Ill.
2004 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Extension Course Institute, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Extension Course Institute, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 USAF First Sergeant Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Associate of Applied Science Degree, Police Science, Community College of the Air Force
2010 Associate of Applied Science Degree, Human Resource Management, Community College of the Air Force
2012 Senior Enlisted Joint PME, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va., by correspondence
2014 ANG Chief Master Sergeants Executive Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2016 ANG Command Chief Orientation Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
1. October 1981 – October 1984, USS Jarrett FFG 33, United States Navy, Long Beach, Calif.
2. October 1984 – December 1987, United States Navy Reserves, Saint Louis, Mo.
3. January 1988 – December 1989, 399th Military Police Detachment, United States Army Reserves, Saint Louis, Mo.
4. January 1990 – September 1997, United States Army Reserves IRR Control Group
5. June 2000 – August 2004, Fire Team Leader, 126th Security Forces Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill. (October 2001- December 2001, Fire Team Leader, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey, December 2002 – May 2003, Fire Team Leader, 384th Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron, Bahrain)
6. August 2004 – June 2008, Squad Leader, 126th Security Forces Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill. (February 2005 – April 2005, Fire Team Leader, 40th Expeditionary Security Forces Flight, British Indian Ocean Territory, Diego Garcia)
7. June 2008 – February 2013, First Sergeant, 126th Security Forces Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill. (January 2012 – May 2012, First Sergeant, 455th Expeditionary Operations Group, Bagram Afghanistan)
8. February 2013 – October 2013, Operations Superintendent, 126th Security Forces Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill.
9. October 2013 – April 2016, Security Forces Manager, 126th Security Forces Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill.
10. April 2016 – Present, Command Chief, 126th Air Refueling Wing, Scott AFB, Ill.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and three oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with device
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with device
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with device
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 2 ‘M’ devices and silver hour glass device
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Abraham Lincoln Medal of Freedom
Illinois Long and Honorable Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
ILANG First Sergeant Ribbon
Illinois Military Attendance Ribbon with numeral 9
Illinois State Active Duty Ribbon
126th Air Refueling Wing First Sergeant of the Year 2011
126th Air Refueling Wing First Sergeant of the Year 2012
Illinois Air National Guard First Sergeant of the Year 2012
126th Air Refueling Wing First Sergeant of the Year 2013
Enlisted Association of the National Guard of the United States “2013 Illinois Minute Man of the Year”
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION:
Chief Master Sergeant,October 2013
(Current as of October 2019)