Colonel Matthew W. Kopp is the Deputy Commander, 126th Air Refueling Wing, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois. As the Deputy Commander, he is the principle senior officer responsible for assisting the Wing Commander in the planning, organizing, directing and management of unit logistics, base support and operations programs for an Illinois Air National Guard Wing of eight primary assigned KC-135R aircraft and over 900 personnel. The Wing executes worldwide mobility operations, including both air refueling and airlift, and supports a wide range of conventional and nuclear plans.
Colonel Kopp is a graduate of the University of Missouri-Rolla, receiving a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering in 2002, earning his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps. Upon receiving his commission, Colonel Kopp attended undergraduate pilot training. His initial flying assignment was to the 92d Air Refueling Squadron, Fairchild Air Force Base, Washington.
Colonel Kopp is a command pilot with more than 4,400 hours in the KC-135R/T/RT aircraft and more than 2,200 combat and combat support hours in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM, NEW DAWN, and INHERENT RESOLVE. Prior to his current assignment, he served as the
Commander, 108th Air Refueling Squadron and the interim Operations Group Commander, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois.
2002 Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, University of Missouri, Rolla
2009 Top Third Graduate, Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Masters of Business Administration/Management, Webster University, Mo.
2012 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2018 Air War College, by correspondence
1. November 2002 – August 2003, Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Training Squadron 3, Naval Air Station Whiting Field, Fla.
2. September 2003 – May 2004 Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, 71st Flying Training Wing, Vance AFB, Okla.
3. June 2004 – September 2004, KC-135 Initial Qualification, Altus AFB, Okla.
4. October 2004 – August 2009, KC-135R/T Evaluator Pilot, Chief of Training, Flight Commander, Standardization and Evaluation Officer, 92d Air Refueling Squadron, 92d Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
5. September 2009 - July 2010 Evaluator Pilot, Chief of Aircrew Scheduling, 906th Air Refueling Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill.
6. August 2010 – November 2011 Wing Executive Officer, 375th Air Mobility Wing, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. December 2011- November 2013 Evaluator Pilot, Assistant Operations Officer, Chief of Standardization, 906th Air Refueling Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. December 2013-July 2016, Evaluator Pilot, Aircrew Scheduling, Training Flight Officer, 108th Air Refueling Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill.
9. August 2016 - May 2019, Chief of Standardizations and Evaluations, 126th Operations Group, Scott AFB, Ill.
10. June 2019 – January 2020, Director of Operations, 108th Air Refueling Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill.
11. February 2020 – May 2023, Commander, 108th Air Refueling Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill.
12. May 2023 – Present, Deputy Commander, 126th Air Refueling Wing, Scott AFB, Ill.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with one silver and two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 4,400 (including more than 2,200 combat hours)
Aircraft flown: T-34C, T-1, KC-135R/T
(Current as of September 2023)