Lieutenant Colonel Steven M. Olson is Commander, 126th Operations Group, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois. As Commander he serves as the senior officer responsible for all flying operations and crews in a wing of eight primary assigned KC-135R aircraft. The group executes worldwide air refueling and airlift operations, supports a wide range of conventional and nuclear plans, as well as Homeland Defense and Civil Support missions.
Lieutenant Colonel Olson attended Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. He began his military career as a KC-135 Boom Operator at Fairchild AFB, Washington, prior to transferring into the 126th Air Refueling Wing, Scott AFB, Ill. He graduated from the Academy of Military Science as a distinguished graduate and was commissioned as a second lieutenant in 2003. Upon receiving his commission, Colonel Olson attended undergraduate pilot training. His initial flying assignment was to the 108th Air Refueling Squadron in 2005 as a KC-135E pilot.
Lieutenant Colonel Olson has served in many positions in the 126th Operations Group including Deputy Chief of Scheduling, Director of Training, and Director of Operations. He has also served in Wing Staff positions including Wing Plans and the Crisis Action Team Director. In addition, he has served at the Commander of the 506th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, Andersen AFB, Guam. Prior to his current assignment, he served as an Evaluator Pilot and the Commander for the 108th Air Refueling Squadron at Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
Lieutenant Colonel Olson is a senior pilot who has logged more than 3,800 hours in the KC-135E/R/T, T-6, and T-1. He has accumulated over 420 hours of combat and combat support time in numerous operations including NOTHERN WATCH, SOUTHERN WATCH, ALLIED FORCE, NOBLE EAGLE, IRAQI FREEDOM, ENDURING FREEDOM, FREEDOM’S SENTINEL, INHERENT RESOLVE, and UNIFIED PROTECTOR.
2001 NCO Prep Course, correspondence
2003 Distinguished Graduate, Academy of Military Science, McGee Tyson, Tenn.
2003 Bachelor of Science, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
2012 Squadron Officers School, correspondence
2016 Air Command and Staff College, correspondence
1. January1996 – September 1999, Boom Operator, 93/98 ARS, Fairchild AFB, Ill.
2. October 1999 – October 2003, Boom Operator, 108 ARS, Scott AFB, Ill.
3. November 2003 – March 2004, Tanker Homeland Defense, Tanker Airlift Control Center, Scott AFB, Ill.
4. March 2004 – October 2005, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
5. November 2005 – April 2006 KC-135 Pilot Initial Qualification, Altus AFB, Okla.
6. April 2006 – May 2008, Shift Lead TACC International Flight Plans, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. May 2008 – February 2013, Scheduling/Current Operations, 126 OG, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. February 2013 – August 2014, Deputy Chief of Training, 126 OG, Scott AFB, Ill.
9. August 2014 – August 2016, Director of Training, 126 OG, Scott AFB, Ill.
10. August 2016 – August 2017, Director of Operations, 108 ARS, Scott AFB, Ill.
11. August 2017 – February 2020, Commander, 108 ARS, Scott AFB, Ill.
Rating: Senior Pilot/Boom Operator
Flight Hours: More than 3700
Aircraft Flown: T-6, T-1, KC-135E, KC-135R, KC-135T
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Meritorious Service Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor
Combat Readiness Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary and Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with 1 device
Air Force Longevity Service with four oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with silver hourglass and five “M” devices
Illinois Long and Honorable Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Illinois Military Attendance Ribbon with numeral 7
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
First Lieutenant, November 21, 2005
Captain, November 21, 2007
Major, May 21, 2012
Lieutenant Colonel, December 4, 2016